Monday, September 04, 2006

 

Thoughts on the electoral College

Hello everybody. I know I have been away for a long time. I don't really think I've disappointed a lot of people because there aren't that many people reading this anyway.
I wanted to say a few things about the electoral college. I know its a little late in the game to be discussing this since it is not a hot topic; but hey, this blog is not about the hot topics anyway. I remember everybody fussing about the 2004 election. They were saying we should do away with the electoral college and let the popular vote decide the President. This would be a grave mistake. Thomas Jefferson said this:

" A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."


This is why we do not have a true democracy. This is why we use the electoral college. It is to keep the more populist states from rolling over the smaller. If I had my way there would be to votes for each state. One for the urban areas and one for the rural ones. As it is I would settle for a compromise. Each senatorial district would get one elector and each representative district would get one elector. The electors would be bound by law to vote with the majority in his district. Democrats would not go for this because they would lose votes in their stronghold states. Republicans wouldn't go for this for the same reason. I personally like it. It would force politicians to pay attention to all of the districts. Besides, why should all the electors in Illinois go to the Democratic party because of Cook County. It is not fair to the rural farmers. Think about it.

Comments:
"This is why we do not have a true democracy"

Exactly correct we live in a Representative Republic, the Electoral College was purposely designed by the Founding Fathers specifically to prevent the large metropolitan centers from dominating the rural areas, just one more of the Checks and Balances in the Constitution
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?